please help : trying to find ...

This forum is a community resource for the people of St Davids and those in the wider world with an interest in the city. Please respect your fellow users and refrain from posting anything that could be considered offensive by the community.
This forum is intended for non commercial use if you wish to promote your goods or services please contact the Webjanitor.
Mae'r bwrdd neges hwn yn modd i bobl Tyddewi ac i'r rhai hynny sydd a ddiddordeb yn y ddinas. Byddwch yn barchus i'ch cyd-defnyddwyr a pheidiwch postio unrhyw beth a fydd yn atgasu'r cymdeithas.
Open forum
Register to become a Member and gain extra options.
Gordon
croeso

please help : trying to find ...

Post by Gordon » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:17 pm

Hello all !

i'm new on here & this is my first post, so please be gentle :)

mine is a very long story but i will try to keep this short ... my family going back many many generations has lived in st davids (though i never have - only visited for hols etc) ...

last summer my grandad and aunt (william & gloria griffiths) passed away on the same day ... they had lived in nun street for over 50 years ...

my auntie gloria was very reclusive but in the 1970's had a book of her poems published ...

my dad has very little of his father and sisters memories / belongings etc, but is desperate to get hold of a copy of the poems, so i am trawling everywhere i possibly can to try and find it for him...

it is called '20th century poems' by Rose Petal, and i think was published in 1976...

do any of you guys know how / where i can continue my search???

i would be soooo grateful for any help as it really does have huge meaning in the family ...

i still have an auntie living in st davids, and my uncle lives in treledydd fawr, so still feel strong connection to the place myself, and its good to see a thriving little online community from there!!!

ps : even if i can only find the books isbn number it would be a help... or if any of you remember the family in st davids, it would be good to hear memories...

thank you for your time

:)

gordon

Resident
doeth

Post by Resident » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:14 am

Hi Gordon,
You might have thought of it already but have you contacted the book shop in St Davids. The chap in there may well have some idea of where you could get hold of a copy.
Hope you manage to track one down. Let us know how you get on.

Bobby
doeth

Post by Bobby » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:54 pm

I am sure,you there a web sites that you can go to,to buy books from, often secon hand. Try putting book search, or something like that in Google.

Gordon
croeso

Post by Gordon » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:14 pm

hello again! thank you all for your help so far! great response in this thread and via emails ...

i have trawled the internet for many hours, but looking for something as general as 'twentieth century poems' by 'rose petal' is proving impossibly difficult ... my auntie who has the only known copy left in the family is refusing to let us know the isbn number (which would of course make it easier) ...

i havent tried the bookshop in st davids (dont know why i didnt think of that!?)... do any of you guys have a contact name / number for the shop?

i will definitely keep you all posted ... one good thing thats come of this already ... i've had a nice email from a lady who now lives next door to my elderly uncle in treledydd fawr, and tim who also used to live next door to my uncle ... thanks to you all so much!

:)

gordon

Crusty Old Mike
doeth

Post by Crusty Old Mike » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:13 pm

Hi, Gordon - is your uncle at Treleddyd-fawr the chap I used to meet on his walk in the evenings when I was on holiday there ? The guy I'm thinking of has a cat called Arthur. We got on very well.

Gordon
croeso

Post by Gordon » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:50 pm

Hi Mike!

my uncle has had many cats over the years ... not sure if one was called arthur ... many had welsh names ... but he certainly does like his walking, so highly likely it was him...

:D

Crusty Old Mike
doeth

Post by Crusty Old Mike » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Our cat Cleo wrote to Arthur and the postman refused to hand the letter to your uncle until Arthur showed up !