Pilgrimages

This forum is a community resource for the people of St Davids and those in the wider world with an interest in the city. Please respect your fellow users and refrain from posting anything that could be considered offensive by the community.
This forum is intended for non commercial use if you wish to promote your goods or services please contact the Webjanitor.
Mae'r bwrdd neges hwn yn modd i bobl Tyddewi ac i'r rhai hynny sydd a ddiddordeb yn y ddinas. Byddwch yn barchus i'ch cyd-defnyddwyr a pheidiwch postio unrhyw beth a fydd yn atgasu'r cymdeithas.
Open forum
Register to become a Member and gain extra options.
Crusty Old Mike
doeth

Pilgrimages

Post by Crusty Old Mike » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:21 pm

The other day I had to go to Asda twice. Do you think that two trips to Asda are worth one to Marks and Spencer ?

webjanitor
Site Admin

Post by webjanitor » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:40 pm

<haiku>

Asda M & S
pilgrimage there brings no worth
spirit always FREE

</haiku>

Crusty Old Mike
doeth

Post by Crusty Old Mike » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:32 pm

I agree - only go to those places out of necessity.

Thanks for that splendid picture. Used my trusty Twr-y-Felin map to work out where it was, and I was right ! Last time I was there we (My wife and I) were in one of those stunning downpours which only seem to come when there's no cover . . . and we were dry by the time we got back to Porth Clais the long way round.

Bobby
doeth

Post by Bobby » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:44 pm

I have sometimes wondered about the saying that "Two trips to St. Davids is worth one to Rome" Does it, if you lived in Solva or Nine Wells etc!?

zdrasti
croeso

Pilgrimage

Post by zdrasti » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:27 pm

You dont want to go to St.Davids on a pilgrimage- what would anyone do that for. It is a great place with out pilgrims going and ruining it. If you want a pilgrimage come out and visit the churches in Bulgaria- Veliko Turnovo area- the countryside is magnificent, the people are very friendly and house prices are amazingly low - 20000 euros for a 4 bedroom house and it is 30p for a pint. If anyone wants more info contact me at chervendrakon@mail.bg or on 00359885127552. Hwyl am nawr.

prancer
Site Admin

Post by prancer » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:15 pm

30p for a pint?
Ever since the local council in St Davids tried to outlaw booze by the back door by imposing a 300% tax on alcohol, the night life has really suffered.
Does anyone remeber the big protest outside the smaller Aldi on the high street (the one next the pound shop) in the early nineties? Wasn't that when the MP for Havefordwest was beheaded, or I am I mixing the event up with one of the annual tourist hunts?
Prancing is for dancers, masking is for liars.

Bobby
doeth

Post by Bobby » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:34 pm

When I first started drinking beer a pint cost 1/8d thats 12 pints for a pound,mind we only earned £5.10s a week. Ordinary news papers cost 3d,thats 80 for £1. A house I wanted to buy cost £2000, but I couldnt get a mortgage on it as the front door opened on to the footpath,the agent said if there had only been a couple of feet of garden they would have given one. Mortgages were hard to come by in them days especially if you didnt save with them. Its sad house prices are so high now for our childrens sake.

Crusty Old Mike
doeth

Post by Crusty Old Mike » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:57 pm

I'm a bit younger than you, Bobby, but I too can see the differences between those days and today. For a start, the older kids had to dodge the Spitfires and Messerschmitts when they went out to play (we were between Biggin Hill and Croydon aerodromes), newspapers were indeed 3d and we learned to add, subtract, multiply, divide and spell properly in classrooms which had everyone facing the front with proper desks where you knew that your books and pens (which we were taught to hold correctly) would stay in throughout the term. We could play out until we were told to come in, cycling didn't need part of the road marked off which always ran out whenever there was a hazard, ie roundabout or crossroads, and childhood was FUN. There was a lot of sunshine, too ! Today is all right, but on balance yesterday was rather better.

Bobby
doeth

Post by Bobby » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:40 am

Hello Mike, I could have gone on about what happened in my childhood, you are right, things I am sure were better then,we had no car/tv/phone,only one coal fire no money,but people knew where they stood, we had good neighbours, we played out when younger then back in for tea etc, but no-one caused trouble, if an adult did say something we simply ran off, not swear at them as they do now. When older and we started drinking we didnt shout our heads off,vomit in the streets, fight and threaten. Things werent perfect of course but I largely prefer them days.