what went wrong???

This forum is a community resource for the people of St Davids and those in the wider world with an interest in the city. Please respect your fellow users and refrain from posting anything that could be considered offensive by the community.
This forum is intended for non commercial use if you wish to promote your goods or services please contact the Webjanitor.
Mae'r bwrdd neges hwn yn modd i bobl Tyddewi ac i'r rhai hynny sydd a ddiddordeb yn y ddinas. Byddwch yn barchus i'ch cyd-defnyddwyr a pheidiwch postio unrhyw beth a fydd yn atgasu'r cymdeithas.
Open forum
Register to become a Member and gain extra options.
the beast
doeth

what went wrong???

Post by the beast » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:21 pm

What on earth has happened to this site? A few years ago it
was innundated with critical, humorous, salacious, and interesting posts covering a array of subjects both local and alien.

Very sad it has gone this way.

Be safe.

Bobby
doeth

Post by Bobby » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:25 pm

Everybody is probably out enjoying the sun.
However, I suspect this site has gone the way of a lot of things, novelty wears off, flash in the pan etc.etc.
Also now people have to register.

webjanitor
Site Admin

Post by webjanitor » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:15 pm

What on earth has happened to this site? A few years ago it
was innundated with critical, humorous, salacious, and interesting posts covering a array of subjects both local and alien.
I agree, things certainly were more interesting.
Anybody could post anything they liked, saying anything about anybody and alleging whatever their fancy took.

There were a lot of very creative and very amusing posts but sadly things came to a head when there was an issue in the local school that made some people very heated, who then posted potentially damaging comments under the illusion of anonymity.

Since then people have been required to register with a working email address in order to post.
(Is that so hard? We all have one)

We still dont have to say who we really are but the illusion of anonymity is gone. Since then things have been a little quieter.

This will never prevent the creative amongst us from posting "critical, humorous, salacious, and interesting posts", it does sadly prevent the casual browser from throwing in a quick comment.

I dont think it's a bad thing to be responsible for what you say in public, do you?

Discuss.

Magic_Man
doeth

Post by Magic_Man » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:34 pm

webjanitor wrote:There were a lot of very creative and very amusing posts but sadly things came to a head when there was an issue in the local school that made some people very heated, who then posted potentially damaging comments under the illusion of anonymity.

Really? What issue was that then?

webjanitor
Site Admin

Post by webjanitor » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:48 pm

:lol:
I knew as soon as I wrote that that someone would ask.
Congrats Magic_Man you win the prize.

It was nothing dreadful, just an issue about staff and the competence of the head teacher and governing body as I recall (it was all a long time ago, and now resolved).
Anyway comments got pretty personal and a lot of people got upset.

On the whole comments posted here, though sometimes very personal, were taken in the spirit in which they were written, just for fun.

St Davids is a small place populated by real people with real feelings(failings) where we all know everybody, as I'm sure you know. It can be very easy to hurt someone with gossip, especially if someone feels they can start a rumour in anonymity.

Bobby
doeth

Post by Bobby » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:04 pm

You said it Webjanitor,gossip can be very hurtful in this community.People should mind their own business, and show more understanding/compassion here.

Magic_Man
doeth

Post by Magic_Man » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:21 pm

webjanitor wrote:It was nothing dreadful, just an issue about staff and the competence of the head teacher and governing body as I recall (it was all a long time ago, and now resolved).

The head teacher lacks tact and is arrogant, and there have been some woeful teachers in that school. But that's common knowledge. With the budget afforded to YDS, that can't be helped.

It's a shame that the banter on the board from genuine locals has been replaced by the inane ramblings of eccentric weirdos such as Fegg. But your hands were tied and registration was the only option.

Crusty Old Mike
doeth

Post by Crusty Old Mike » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:39 pm

There is also the point that the people whose posts were so entertaining have probably moved on to other things of interest to them.

Bobby
doeth

Post by Bobby » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:11 am

I looked several times over this wet weekend to see if anyone had put anything on the site,but no.
But looking back doesnt everything pass on, I remember hoola hoops in the 50's that went, there was a short revival a while ago for them, but they went again, roller skates,scooters,all come and go,and youngsters think they are new!
I cant wait until so called "Rap" music goes! Anyone else out there who likes 50's music? Jo Stafford, Anne Shelton, David Whitfield etc.

prancer
Site Admin

Post by prancer » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:00 pm

Well, if the most interesting person to post around here gets banned, the fad is bound to fizzle out.

Big Brother Is editing You!
Prancing is for dancers, masking is for liars.

Crusty Old Mike
doeth

Post by Crusty Old Mike » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:13 pm

Big Brother didn't edit the Phantom Noocher, Herbs or Mal !

the beast
doeth

Post by the beast » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:58 pm

Yeah! Come on guys!

Lets get 'Noocher' and 'Herbs' back, that would light up the site somewhat.

I see Mr B liar is getting even more confused as he travels the world with his latest bodyswerve...........talking geo-global politics........Didn't some labourite minion call him a pathalogical conman last week in the papers.......somewhat near the mark methinks!!!!

The divide between reality and politics ever widens!

Be safe!

Sue
doeth

Post by Sue » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:59 pm

Are you talking about Fegg Prancer? Did he really light up the site like Noocher and Herbs? Or did he sound like a mad old uncle we'd rathr ignore? I'd go for the latter- he wasn't a patch on the Noocher.

prancer
Site Admin

Post by prancer » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:07 pm

My point was not really to compare him with anyone, simply to say that it seems sad that a forum like this should have someone banned because of their humouress comments about St Davids. I'm sure the holiday cottage industry ncould have coped with his wry comments. We have to ask ourselves, who pays the "the man" his wage, whose pocket is the janitor in, who pulls the financial strings, and hence, wasn't Fegg simply too much for them to stomach. Look at the memberslist to see the different attempts he has made to get back on, it all smeels a little fishy - just like the dock area in St davids one might say.
Prancing is for dancers, masking is for liars.

Magic_Man
doeth

Post by Magic_Man » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:16 pm

prancer wrote:My point was not really to compare him with anyone, simply to say that it seems sad that a forum like this should have someone banned because of their humourless comments about St Davids.

I've ammended your typing error.

webjanitor
Site Admin

Post by webjanitor » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:00 pm

personally I love the Fegg input
and miss him

I also miss that contribution from all the local kids, although all those original posters have now grown up and hopefully moved to university/careers totally conversant with the connected world

I think maybe we have all grown up digitally

Bobby
doeth

Post by Bobby » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:31 am

We may have grown up digitally,from going from a house with no television no phone,only one fire and a big wireless,to a place with central heating,digital tv, computer,phone, mobile phone etc etc.But the lack of respect shown today by many youngsters is appaling,and that includes here,shows some people need to grow up in other ways Not everyone behaves badly of course,but I dread to think what society will be like in 50 years time. Thank goodness I wont be alive !

Crusty Old Mike
doeth

Post by Crusty Old Mike » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:22 pm

You might be if you follow Government advice and eat five portions of veg every day !

the beast
doeth

Post by the beast » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:21 pm

I think i read the a report the other week that all these high fibre, high energy yoghurts and drinks to be taken in the morning are no better than ordinary regular fruit, they just happen to cost 10 times more....the power of advertising eh!!

Be safe!!

Crusty Old Mike
doeth

Post by Crusty Old Mike » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:57 pm

If all the Weetabix I've had in my life were placed end to end I reckon they'd reach the City from here. Tread carefully ! Going back to the original post above, after a look around the Forum it doesn't seem so bad - it's slower and less zany, but when the next generation of kids gets going (ie between playstations and girls, probably) things will revert to normal.