School Days

This forum is a community resource for the people of St Davids and those in the wider world with an interest in the city. Please respect your fellow users and refrain from posting anything that could be considered offensive by the community.
This forum is intended for non commercial use if you wish to promote your goods or services please contact the Webjanitor.
Mae'r bwrdd neges hwn yn modd i bobl Tyddewi ac i'r rhai hynny sydd a ddiddordeb yn y ddinas. Byddwch yn barchus i'ch cyd-defnyddwyr a pheidiwch postio unrhyw beth a fydd yn atgasu'r cymdeithas.
Open forum
Register to become a Member and gain extra options.
the beast
doeth

Post by the beast » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:59 pm

Hi, don't know anything re the problem at YDS but believe me if you had to be taught by the geography teacher in 1972, ( can't remember his name ) whatever attitude the head teacher involved had, it was nothing compared to this fellow.

A great teacher!!! But bloody hell, what a teacher.

Re the thread, i hope that the interesting and absorbing posts will return and the site will once again become a place to enjoy visiting by locals and visitors!!!

Be safe!

Sue
doeth

Post by Sue » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:57 am

It wasn't Mr Bowen was it? He used to terrify us in History when I was there in the 90's but I think I heard he used to do the same in Geography. I get the feeling we would probably have thought he was rather cool had it not been for the scariness.

Magic_Man
doeth

Post by Magic_Man » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:52 pm

Mr. Bowen died last Summer apparently.

I would have suggested Mr. Reid but I doubt he was there in 1972!

the beast
doeth

Post by the beast » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:32 pm

No, it wasn't mr Bowden, this teacher in '72 was in his late 50's and used to wear a gown, he favourite trick was to pick his nose and slap you on the shoulder as he bawled at you. A great teacher though. The one i liked was the English lit teacher, a little fella with glasses who was brilliant, he knew some of us used to visit the pub at lunchtime and kept it shtum!

Was it the Grove hotel, the first pub on the left as you walked into St Davids from YDS?

Be safe!

Bobby
doeth

Post by Bobby » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:43 pm

Lets get back to the days when you could get given the stick by the teachers, in them days no-one cheeked the teachers as they do now. I remember one incident where an older pupil was caned by the headmaster on the school stage,because of an incident where he had been rude to someone outside school,they dont like to intervene at all now even when on the way to/from school. We had one teacher who used to slipper the whole class when the fancy took him,smokers were always caned and for that I am grateful, I never started.
Still I dont suppose that will ever happen the system favours the rule breakers now.