Casual racism

This forum is a community resource for the people of St Davids and those in the wider world with an interest in the city. Please respect your fellow users and refrain from posting anything that could be considered offensive by the community.
This forum is intended for non commercial use if you wish to promote your goods or services please contact the Webjanitor.
Mae'r bwrdd neges hwn yn modd i bobl Tyddewi ac i'r rhai hynny sydd a ddiddordeb yn y ddinas. Byddwch yn barchus i'ch cyd-defnyddwyr a pheidiwch postio unrhyw beth a fydd yn atgasu'r cymdeithas.
Open forum
Register to become a Member and gain extra options.
Resident
doeth

Casual racism

Post by Resident » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:00 am

I love the throwaway racist comments that you hear sometimes.

Overheard in the pub the other day:

"Where are you from?"
"France"
"Ah well, as long as you're not English"

Such a lovely attitude :roll:

Bobby
doeth

Post by Bobby » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:38 pm

Its more widespread,and deep rooted,than people care to admit.

catweazle
doeth

Post by catweazle » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:39 pm

Maybe, just maybe it's because the Cymru have lost so much because of the english penchant for domination and colonization, invasion and attempted assimmilisation of this, our land, without any regret or apology for it's disregard or loss of it's language, culture, laws, history due to englands expansionist policies regarding Cymru. That the Welsh regard the english establishment and government, as land grabbing colonialist imperialist Germans is quite acceptable apparently.
Here's to the sons of the Gwerin
Who care not for Prince or for Queen
Who will haul down the Red White and Blue boys
And hoist up the Red White and Green.

the beast
doeth

Post by the beast » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:25 am

Hey Catweeeeeezal!!!

Explain ''land grabbing''??

Colonial what???

Don't you have your own language signs?
Don't you have your own language newspapers?
Don't you teach ( obligatory) welsh in your local schools?
Don't you have your own language tv stations?
Are you not racist?

Try and be a tad more obversive and embrace your culture as an
invitation and lure to your beautiful country as opposed to a blinkered view of anything that is not welsh!

Be safe!!

potato picker
doeth

Post by potato picker » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:47 am

HEY YOU THE BEAST I BET YOUR FROM ENGLAND.GO BACK THERE.

the beast
doeth

Post by the beast » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:32 pm

[b]

Ahhh!!! Spud ceibiwr , betia bwriaist a 'n fawr ddelia chan amsera yn dethol 'u tuba's pryd ddylasech wedi bod yn astudio. 'ch chan Lloegr???

Bod 'n ddihangol!![/b]

potato picker
doeth

Post by potato picker » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:11 pm

HEY MATE YOU BETTER CHECK YOUR SPELLING. THERE'S FOUR MISTAKES IN WHAT YOU PRINTED.HAHA.

the beast
doeth

Post by the beast » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:05 pm

Spud boy!

Its........... YOU'D better check my spelling.

I only POSTED, not printed!

And who checked the spelling for you as you are obviously not able to converse in your national tongue.

Enough!! Enough of this pointless banter!!

Be safe!!

Magic_Man
doeth

Post by Magic_Man » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:54 am

England is a culturally inept nation, who have a greater population than Wales and that's the only thing they can boast about. English people prefer celebrating St. Patrick's day over their very own St. George's day. The English have a massive population yet they perpetually under achieve in all sports. The English have become so PC that they side-track their own culture and beliefs in order to accomodate foreigners.

The aforementioned comment "at least your not English" is not racist, it''s a JOKE. It's BANTER. Get a grip for God's sake. :roll: :roll:

the beast
doeth

Post by the beast » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:49 am

Hi Magic-man!

As i said, enough of this pointless banter!

My comments were a respond to our Mr Catweazle and his rantings.

Be safe!

Resident
doeth

Post by Resident » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:23 am

[quote="Magic_Man"]England is a culturally inept nation, who have a greater population than Wales and that's the only thing they can boast about. English people prefer celebrating St. Patrick's day over their very own St. George's day. The English have a massive population yet they perpetually under achieve in all sports. The English have become so PC that they side-track their own culture and beliefs in order to accomodate foreigners.

The aforementioned comment "at least your not English" is not racist, it''s a JOKE. It's BANTER. Get a grip for God's sake. :roll: :roll:[/quote]

:roll: I love that. "Its a joke. Its banter". I can assure you, the look on the faces of the people who make these comments (and I've seen plenty of them) is not one of good humoured ribbing. I imagine if I'd have challenged it I might have been met with a tirade of comments similar to your little diatribe above. Maybe even a touch of violence if I'd have pressed. The title I gave to this thread is accurate. The anti English vibe is so ingrained that its considered 'just a joke' to make unpleasant comments about the English. When you scratch the surface of what people mean by the joke it soon reveals bitterness. I'm not going to make any defence of the English or attempt to offer any insight into the problem, but can simply say that from an Englishman in Wales I find it upsetting to be vilified by the people around me. Especially as I think of myself as a nice enough bloke who's very proud to live in this area.
Last edited by Resident on Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Resident
doeth

Post by Resident » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:31 am

Well, after a discussion with my Welsh colleague we've concluded that everyone hates each other! The Brtitish hate the Germans, the French hate the Spanish, the Gogs hate the south, Swansea hates Llanelli, St Davids hates Fishguard. Anglo/Welsh history is a good enough reason to base a dislike on so forever it will remain. Its just a shame that some people choose to take things a bit further and harbour a genuine dislike of people based on where they come from. I spose I just got to get used to it and not take it personally, but I'll still feel sad when some nobhead in the pub brings me down by making some lame comment based on my birthplace.

pob hyll.

Magic_Man
doeth

Post by Magic_Man » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:13 pm

[quote="Resident"]:roll: I love that. "Its a joke. Its banter". I can assure you, the look on the faces of the people who make these comments (and I've seen plenty of them) is not one of good humoured ribbing. I imagine if I'd have challenged it I might have been met with a tirade of comments similar to your little diatribe above. Maybe even a touch of violence if I'd have pressed. The title I gave to this thread is accurate. The anti English vibe is so ingrained that its considered 'just a joke' to make unpleasant comments about the English. When you scratch the surface of what people mean by the joke it soon reveals bitterness. I'm not going to make any defence of the English or attempt to offer any insight into the problem, but can simply say that from an Englishman in Wales I find it upsetting to be vilified by the people around me. Especially as I think of myself as a nice enough bloke who's very proud to live in this area.[/quote]

I wrote that "diatribe" when I was drunk. And the sentence structure was still better than your little spiel.

I live in England for most of the year, and I always get ribbed for being Welsh, but I just dish it back. It's all banter in my eyes and I don't get offended by it. There will always be morons who are genuinely being aggressive but to tarnish everybody as a racist is ridiculous.

[i]Edit: What's wrong with the quoting system? :? [/i]

the beast
doeth

Post by the beast » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:12 pm

I wrote that "diatribe" when I was drunk. And the sentence structure was still better than your little spiel.

Good lord ! Magic Man, your sentence structure leaves a tad to be deeeeeeeeeesired?

'' better than your little spiel''??? Look it up.

You say you reside in England for '' Most of the year''?

Why do you have to spend such a vast time away from your beloved homeland?

Be safe!

Resident
doeth

Post by Resident » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:40 am

[quote="Magic_Man"][b]I wrote that "diatribe" when I was drunk. And the sentence structure was still better than your little spiel.

I live in England for most of the year, and I always get ribbed for being Welsh, but I just dish it back. It's all banter in my eyes and I don't get offended by it. There will always be morons who are genuinely being aggressive but to tarnish everybody as a racist is ridiculous. [/b][/quote]

Sigh. I'm not tarnishing everyone as a racist. :roll: I said that the look on some peoples faces when they make their comments is not one of mirthful jesting. Its a straight look of deep seated dislike as they deliver their little dig. I have no problem with people making good humoured comments about my nationality because I recognise that as banter and treat it as such. I enjoy that as much as the next man but I'm not overreacting here, when you're met with somebody making a comment in all seriousness that is pretty unpleasant its hard to come back with a joke. It'd be like a black man saying to the KKK "Oh come on boys, just cus Tiger Woods is beating you white boys in the golf its no reason to get uppity" I don't think that would get a laugh.

Maybe you're imagining a different scenario to what actually happened the other night. The guy wasn't grinning. He said "At least you're not English" and shuffled back to the bar. He wasn't a man of good humour and his comment wasn't delivered with any hint that he was joking. None of his buddies were there to overhear, it wasn't a follow up to an earlier conversation, it was just a standalone comment. I've seen it happen on plenty of occasions. Would you say that was banter? I'd say it lacked any kind of amusing elements.

Anyway, as I said. I'm not going to worry about it. Some people just aren't funny when they give a bit of banter. Surely you can recognise what I'm saying here Magical Man? I'm not having a go at everyone, just saying, as you point out, that there will always be morons who are genuinely being aggressive.

Oh and thanks for the contructive criticism on sentence structure. Maybe I should hit the sherry when I'm typing too. :wink:

Resident
doeth

Post by Resident » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:45 am

Cripes Magic, just seen what time you made your original post. You not got anything more interesting to look at online whilst drunk at 2.54am on a saturday morning!? :lol:

Magic_Man
doeth

Post by Magic_Man » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:23 pm

[quote="the beast"]I wrote that "diatribe" when I was drunk. And the sentence structure was still better than your little spiel.

Good lord ! Magic Man, your sentence structure leaves a tad to be deeeeeeeeeesired?

'' better than your little spiel''??? Look it up.[/quote]

The statement you quoted of me is grammatically correct, and the word "spiel" means; "A lengthy or extravagant speech or argument usually intended to persuade." I won't mention the fact you typed "lord" in lower case and had a space between that word and your explanation mark. :wink:

Resident, now you have provided a better explanation of the scenario you cited I understand what you're saying. It seems that we agree on the point that more often than not, it is banter, but some people take it too far and are aggressive.

the beast
doeth

Post by the beast » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:28 pm

Hey, M&M, enough is enough!

Pull me up for not capitalizing my Lord ( chapeaux ) but what about ' desireeeeeed?

Let us change the direction of our discussions and find, possibly, a lighter and far more interesting subject to bounce about our intellect.

Be safe!

Resident
doeth

Post by Resident » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:55 am

Fair enough. We can put that one to bed then. I guess I should of explained the specifics in the first post.